Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Feeling Grateful

I'm feeling grateful today. It's not even 10 a.m. yet and I've already had at least 50 people wish me a happy birthday, whether it was in person or via text, Facebook or Twitter. If that doesn't make someone feel loved, I don't know what does.

And trust me when I say I'm not trying to say how "cool" or "popular" I am with that statement, but just the fact that I think it's "cool" that that many people care to wish me a happy birthday, and that social media allows for people (some I've never even met) to wish whoever, whenever a happy birthday.

I also owe some thanks, even if it is a bit belated.

TweetUp

As some of you may know, Andrea Compton and I planned and executed SCC's first ever TweetUp SCC Week a couple weeks ago.

Overall, we probably had around 70 people total show up for the events throughout the week, which averages to around 15 or so people at each event. Not bad for our first runaround! Andrea has a good recap of the week's events and speakers on her blog.

But I would just like to send a special thank you shout out to Brian Schwartz (@creativereason) and Craig Moore (@CraigGMoore) for appearing as a guest speaker and panelist for two of our TweetUp events! Brian came on behalf of Social Media Club - St. Louis (@SMCSTL) and talked about the differences between networking and friending on social networks, and Craig was the legal representative on the Privacy and Security Panel following the showing of Catfish. They were both very generous to donate their time and efforts to being a part of TweetUp SCC, and I hope they will come back next year!

(Side note: I contacted both of our speakers via Twitter, including Craig who I had never even met personally! If that doesn't prove the value of social media, then stay tuned for more...)

Andrea and I both would love to host TweetUp again, but we will probably change up a few of the events to better fit the needs of the SCC community. We realized we might have been a bit overzealous by cramming in five separate events into four days, and we also realized that some of our topics were a bit too advanced for our audiences. Surprisingly for me, the most common question I heard was, "What is Twitter?" So we clearly need to start with the basics, rather than jumping into the more advanced topics of social media!

All in all though I had a great time and learned a lot myself! If you attended and have any feedback for us, please comment on my or Andrea's blog, or email me at kanna_taylor@stchas.edu. We'd appreciate it!

Trivia Night

Twitter came to my rescue yet again. I am on the planning subcommittee for the SCC 25th Anniversary Trivia Night, which is this Friday, by the way, and it was my job to collect items for the sports raffle basket. So first things first, I sent out a tweet:

And within minutes I received a direct message:

I told her, "That would be great," but in my head I was screaming, "Heck yes!" And before I knew it I had an email attached with a certificate good for exactly what she said. How awesome is that? 

That same day I also sent a direct message to @RascalsBaseball asking who I could contact about donations, and within minutes I was given a phone number and two names. I called, left a voicemail, and the next day I received a message that four tickets to a 2012 game were waiting for me at their box office. So far, so good, right? Well I'm not done.

The last big prize I was able to get was not via Twitter, but through email. I simply emailed a ticket sales rep at the Kansas City Royals that I had been in contact with over the summer and asked her to put me in touch with her community relations person, and within a few hours I received an email informing me that they would be sending us four tickets to a 2012 in the mail!

This was all in a day. Amazing what social media and the Internet/email can do for you. If it weren't for those communication tools, I would've had to either walk into their offices in person, make a phone call, or send a letter, and who knows how long it would've taken to hear back from anyone! 

In case you're wondering, we also have a gift certificate from Fleet Feet, so this sports raffle basket is pretty jacked. We also have some other great prizes, including:
  • Massage gift certificates
  • Panera bread for a year
  • Restaurant gift cards
  • Wine basket
  • Movie passes
If you are interested in winning any of these prizes, then you should grab seven of your closest friends and sign up for the Trivia Night this Friday at 7 p.m. at SCC! It's only $25/person and it includes complimentary beer, wine, soda, water and popcorn. There are also VIP tables available for $250/table of eight. The VIP table includes table service, three mulligans, eight raffle tickets and two bottles of wine! Plus it's all for a good cause! All proceeds will support scholarships and academic enhancements through the SCC Foundation. I already have two tables signed up myself and I'm stoked! Hope to see you there!

1 comment:

1. Ditto on the special thanks to presenters and panelists. It was a fun week and, you're right, they were all very generous with their time. Looking forward to next year!

ReplyDelete

Tweet